It’s a part of life?our skin changes as we age. It becomes thinner, loses fat, and no longer looks as plump and smooth as it once did. How your skin ages will depend on a variety of factors including your lifestyle, diet, heredity, and personal habits. But the Restylane family of dermal-fillers may be able to [instantly!] help.
What happens as we age?
Hyaluronic acid diminishes as we age, causing skin to lose volume, increasing the appearance of sagging, wrinkling skin.
What can you do to help combat the signs of aging?
The good news is that it only gets easier to fight the signs of aging.
Products in the dermal-filler category are used to add volume and fullness to the skin to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles, fold, and volume loss. Restylane are also the first and only FDA-approved products for lip enhancement in patients over 21 years. With the proper treatment, you can immediately enjoy the results of a younger, more rejunvenized looking face.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of injectable dermal-fillers that instantly correct the loss of volume in the face. Depending on your unique facial structure, skin condition, and ideal goals, a Restylane product can lift and volumenize cheeks, lips, nasolabial folds, under-eye circles, and so much more.
Restylane has been used to beautify over 15-million faces in more than 65 countries worldwide. With instant results that last up to 18-months, and little to no downtime, it?s a no-brainer antiaging choice.
Are there different types of Restylane dermal-filler?
Yes! Depending on where the face needs correction (i.e. lips versus under-eyes), there are currently 3x different formulations of Restylane filler to choose from, including:
- Restylane Silk
Restylane Silk is a refined, super smooth gel-formulation that allows for precise, subtle enhancement. Silk is also the first FDA-approved dermal-filler to treat lips and fine-lines around the mouth.
Restylane was the first dermal-filler of its type, and is often viewed as the gold standard for volume enhancement. Restylane can be used to treat a variety of areas, including midface, lips, nasolabial folds, etc.
- Restylane Lyft
Restylane Lyft is the most robust filler option in the Restylane family, and is FDA-approved to enhance the mid-face, cheeks and nasolabial folds. Lyft is highly-effective and long-lasting nonsurgical option for facial rejuvenation.
Each Restylane product consists of a syringe filled with a clear gel-formulation of hyaluronic acid that is specifically formulated to act like your body’s own naturally produced hyaluronic acid. Once injected into the skin, the dermal-fillers instantly and visibly correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles, folds, or volume loss.
Restylane has been FDA approved for lip enhancement in patients over 21 years, and are uniquely formulated to give your lips fullness and definition.
Although both made of hyaluronic acid, Restylane Silk, Restylane and Restylane Lyft (formerly called “Perlane”) have very different formulations so that they can be used to correct a wide range of volume issues. (For instance, Restylane has a softer feel than Restylane Lyft, which makes it a better product to use for lip injections. Restylane Lyft is made with larger particles that work beautifully at recreating the appearance of cheek-bones, and Restylane Silk is a finer product meant for filling delicate areas such as lip lines and under-eyes.)
* Please note that individual results may vary.
Is Restylane safe?
Yes! Restylane injectable gel is the world’s most studied wrinkle filler with more than a decade of use.
Restylane has been used in more than 15 million treatments in more than 65 countries worldwide and have well-defined safety profiles that are approved for the treatment of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as the lines from your nose to the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds).
Are there people who should NOT use Restylane?
Although Restylane is safe and effective, and millions of people have enjoyed its benefits, the following patient type should avoid Restylane treatment:
- pregnant, breastfeeding, or under 18 years for nasolabial folds and under 21 years for lips (Restylane and Restylane-L only).
- have recently used drugs that thin the blood or prevent clotting
- have had previous bad allergies, particularly to microorganisms known as gram-positive bacteria
- have serious allergies to drugs that have previously required in-hospital treatment
- have bleeding disorders
How does Restylane work?
Restylane works by immediately placing the volume underneath the skin to plump the areas you desire.
By adding volume, the results can be enjoyed as soon as the treatment is completed; nasolabial folds are filled and smoothed away, cheeks are lifted back into place, lips are plumped, and wrinkles and volume deficits of all kinds are erased.
How much Restylane will I need?
The amount of dermal-filler needed to correct a patient?s concerns will vary from person to person. Depending on a variety of factors, maximum correction could be attained with as little as 1mL syringe, or at most six 1mL syringes.
Together you and your treatment provider will decide the amount of correction you desire, and then the best way to achieve it.
Using just the right amount for you
The goal is to make you happy, and to achieve that end you are a vital piece to the treatment process.
Do you want full correction, or just some improvement? With your desired look in mind, we will together come up with the perfect, customized treatment plan for you.
Restylane products are available in 1mL sized increments. Due to this, as much or as little product can be used, depending on your unique face and desired results.
What will my Restylane treatment be like?
Everyone?s treatment will be different, but every injection appointment should roughly follow this routine:
- You will talk with your healthcare professional about your goals and concerns before treatment begins.
- Your healthcare professional will cleanse and prepare the area(s) to be treated.
- Depending on the treatment area, you may have a topical numbing cream applied for 25-30 minutes before treatment to help make the treatment as comfortable as possible.
- The selected injectable will be carefully injected into the treatment area(s) using an ultra-fine needle to create the desired aesthetic effect.
- Once the injections are complete, your treatment provider may gently massage some of the areas to make sure that the filler feels smooth, and you may be given some ice to help prevent any swelling or bruising.
- Enjoy the instant results!
Depending on whether or not numbing cream is used, and how intricate your injections need to be, total treatment time can be less than one hour.
What are possible side-effects from Restylane?
Anytime the skin is being punctured, there is risk for bruising or swelling. However, dermal-fillers are injected with very fine needles and your skilled treatment provider will do everything possible to minimize the potential for any bruising.
After treatment, you may have some: swelling, redness, pain, bruising, and tenderness.
These are typically mild in severity and normally last less than 7 days in nasolabial folds and less than 14 days in lips.
Do?s and Don?ts BEFORE treatment:
- Don?t: Before getting any injection avoid using aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen), St. John’s wort, or high doses of vitamin E supplements. (These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.)
- Do: Tell us if you have previously suffered from facial cold sores. (We may prescribe a medication to minimize recurrence.)
Do?s and Don?t AFTER treatment:
- Do: Use cold compresses to reduce swelling.
- Do: Avoid touching the treated area for the first six hours following treatment, so you do not accidentally injure your skin while the area is numb. After six hours, the area can be gently washed with soap and water.
- Do: Avoid exposure to intense heat (sun lamp or sunbathing) or cold.
- Do: ?Talk with your healthcare professional about medications that may minimize the likelihood of a outbreak.
- Don?t: Avoid using aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen), St John’s wort, or high doses of vitamin E supplements for one week after treatment. (These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.)
- Remember to ask about follow-up appointments!
How can I make my Restylane results last longer?
Easy! Follow the Restylane Regimen, and enjoy your results for up to 18-months!
The process is so simple, it seems almost misleading to call it a “regimen”. All that is required is to come back in 6-months after your initial treatment for a follow-up session.
On average, only half the amount of Restylane injectable gel used at the initial treatment will be needed at the follow-up treatment to return you to your ideal results — meaning that it is easier to maintain your look with incremental upkeep as opposed to starting over each time from ground-zero. This ?regimen? allows you to lengthen the amount of time you can maintain your ideal results, while minimizing the amount of money needed.
The idea is that if you don?t allow the results to fully wear off before you get a subsequent treatment, less product will be needed to get back to where you are happy. Just come back in for a touch-up 6-months after your initial treatment, end enjoy.
Note: The Restylane Regimen does not apply to Restylane or Restylane-L? lip treatments.
??. will the “Restylane Regimen” seriously elongate my results?
Yes! In a clinical study following patients who had their laugh lines treated (the lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth), every patient underwent the 4-9 month follow-up treatment, and every patient maintained their overall improvement for up to 18 months.
* Please note that individual results may vary.