HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR LIPS AFTER INJECTIONS
A post-injection guide
We are so excited for you!
Congratulations on your decision to move forward with a lip treatment! Many people LOVE the enhancement they get with hyaluronic acid filler injections, and we know you will too.
As with all injections, it is important to know how to care for your lips afterwards and how to handle possible side-effects. Please read on to learn what you can do to alleviate discomfort and get ready to show off your newly enhanced lips.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
People who receive lip injections may experience irritation or complications, but the majority of side effects that can occur are tolerable, manageable, and pass quickly. It is important to remember that these treatments are NOT permanent, nor are any side-effects.
The most common side-effects people experience after an injection are:
Even with the most experienced injector, the lips are such a delicate area that it is very likely to experience some bruising and swelling. These side effects should go away within a few days, but in the meantime there are steps you can take to minimize reactions.
HOW TO GET YOUR BEST RESULTS
If you have any of the more common symptoms mentioned previously, here are some steps you can take to minimize reactions and get comfortable.
- If you know that you are prone to bruising, taking Arnica supplements a few days before treatment can help prevent bruising from occurring.
- Apply cool compresses to injection site gently, without a lot of pressure (bags of ice, or frozen vegetables work great!)
- Reduce facial expressions / lip pursing for up to 48-hours
- Avoid sun exposure as long as bruising is present
- Avoid massaging the treated area
- Keep head elevated while sleeping
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24-hours after treatment
- Stay hydrated!
- Take OTC anti-inflammatories (we?re partial to Aleve) after injections if discomfort is bothersome
WHAT TO AVOID
Before and immediately following your lip treatment, there are actions you should avoid as they may cause bruising, swelling, etc. These include:
- Rubbing and touching the treatment area
- Consuming alcohol prior to your procedure
- Avoiding any medications or supplements that have blood-thinning side-effects, such as Aspirin, Warfarin, anti-inflammatory drugs, fish oil, vitamin E supplements, St Johns wort, garlic tablets, gingko biloba, and ginseng. (As soon as the injections are over you can go back to your usual routine!)
*If you experience side effects that are not at least 50% improved 3-days after your treatment, please contact us!
GET READY FOR THE RESULTS
While you may have some post-treatment discomfort, these symptoms should be temporary. Side effects should go away so that you can show off your enhanced lips in no time!
Again, congratulations on your decision to receive a lip treatment, and we look forward to seeing your final results!