After repeating the following list about 25-times a day in conversation, we finally had the *epiphany* that this might be helpful information to share on the inter-webs. 🙂
BEFORE YOUR INJECTION TREATMENT:
* Do Not: Take Aspirin, St. John’s wort, Fish Oil, Vitamin E, drink tons of alcoholic beverages, and use any other blood-thinning substances for 5x days before your treatment. (These are all anti-coagulators, and will increase likelihood of bruising and bleeding at the injection site.)
* Do Not: Schedule your treatment within 3-weeks of any big-event. (Anytime the skin is being broken, there is a chance for bruising or swelling. Please make sure to give your body plenty of healing time before an event in case this occurs.)
* Do: Tell us if you have previously suffered from facial cold sores. (We can prescribe a medication to minimize chance of a break-out.)
AFTER YOUR INJECTION TREATMENT:
* Do: Use cold compresses to reduce swelling or bruising, but…
* DO NOT: Apply a lot of pressure when using your compress against your skin.
* Do: Try to avoid touching the treated area for the first six hours following treatment
* Do: Avoid intense heat (sun lamp or sunbathing)
* Do: Make sure to stay hydrated and drink lots of water, this will help everything work to it’s full-capacity.
* Do: For Botox / Dysport, make a lot of exaggerated facial expressions to make sure the product has integrated into the muscle.
* Do Not: For Botox, do not lie down for at least 4-hours after treatment.
* Do: For dermal-filler injections, try to add an extra-pillow before you go to bed. The elevation can help prevent swelling.
* Do Not: For dermal-filler injections, try to avoid sleeping on your side for the first 3-4x days after treatment. (You do not want the weight of your head to potentially flatten any volume enhancement.)
* Do: Remember to ask about follow-up appointments!
Please note: This list covers the most basic injection advice, for more advanced recommendations read here.